Tuesday 28 March 2017

Classroom Observations

I have now completed the classroom observations of both teachers and students. As I am the Maths Lead Teacher I observed everyone's maths lessons to kill two birds with one stone.
I used the same model as Woolf Fisher for the senior school observations, which gave me a really good picture of what was happening in the classroom for both the teacher and the learners. Some of what I observed linked back to the hunches I had.

Notes from my Observations
- Planning is visible for the children and available BUT are they making the best use of it. Teachers are still using verbal prompts.
- Target students are working with a specific teaching and have specific learning goals they are working towards. Recent assessment data has been shared with them so they know what their next steps are.
- There is still not much Student Agency happening. (There was choice for the order of tasks)
- Collaboration is happening between the teachers and some with the students BUT most of the time it was 'My Work'
- The nature of the tasks tended to be game based learning, constrained practice or non-digital.
- There was a variety of main teaching activities observed: Modelling, Conferencing, Instructing, Roving, and only some Management.
- In most cases the main teaching foci was on strategy and practice.
- Feedback given still tends to be Evaluative
- Still cases of whole class teaching happening. (During this time I noticed children not focused and off task).
- There were instances of 'Off Task' behaviour


After the observations I meet with the teachers and discussed the sheets. We have used these observation sheets and created some specific goals that the teachers are going to work on. We also linked some of them back to our KEN goals to make it more manageable.

No comments:

Post a Comment