Wednesday 10 February 2021

DFI 1 - Core Business

Today was the first day of my Digital Fluency Intensive journey.

The day began with a presentation by Dorothy on the back story of Manaiakalani. I have seen and heard this presentation a few times but it was a great reminder for me about the Manaiakalani journey. 

Love the pedagogy of LEARN, CREATE, SHARE!! and feel privileged to be apart of this kaupapa. 

Having been involved in Manaiakalani Outreach for many years and taking part in many professional development opportunities eg toolkits I knew most of the content that was delivered today.  One thing I will take from today is the use of Google Docs for poster making etc as my go to is normally Google Drawings or Google Slides. I will be showing the kids how to create posters using tables as Draw is their go to. Another skill for their kete. I also really liked the reading mileage idea using voice typing. I could see this being a great task for those students whose goal is fluency and also helping with their editing skills. I will definitely be incorportating the Eyes of Text activity.

It was great to connect with Jeremy and our team of learners that we are going to work with over the next 8 weeks.



 

3 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Alicia, thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts from today's first session. It's cool to know that even someone as experienced in Manaiakalani kaupapa and skilled in G-Suite knowledge can still take things away. It'll be helpful for me to lean into your experience in these areas, I'm sure, as we go through the next 8 weeks! Thanks, too for linking in your Doc from today's Eyes on Text task. One thing you may want to have a quick look at is the size of your screenshot in the compose window on Blogger? It's hanging off the page a little bit at the moment, and may just need to be changed down a size in the image options. Well done again on a really meaningful reflection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Yes it will be great to bounce ideas of each other.
      The picture looked fine in the compose window so not sure why it hung over the edge. I have fixed the problem now.

      Delete
  2. Kia Ora Alicia, it's great to have you aboard the DFI, and to know that you're familiar with much of the Manaiakalani kaupapa already. I'm glad that you were still able to take away some more tips for Docs to use with your learners.
    Just reading the comments above about your image fitting, it's always a good idea to hit 'preview' before publishing. An important tip for our learners too. Blogger can be tricky to format. Same with if they are copy pasting work from their docs into blogger, to use ctrl+shift+v to remove the formatting from the orginal source.
    I look forward to following your DFI journey.
    Nga mihi
    Stef

    ReplyDelete