Wednesday 24 February 2021

DFI 3 - Media

A great start to the morning with Dorothy sharing my favourite part of the Manaiakalani pedagogy - CREATE. The most powerful HOOK!

I am always thinking about the Create tasks I am setting for my students as we know that Create engages our learners. I love watching what my students come up with when they are given the task to create something to share their learning. 

We need to remember that we want our learners to be Creators of Content - not consumers!

Creating should not be limited to just writing tasks, students need to be doing / using their whole being to Create - Harness Digital Technology to support this.

You Tube

A great reminder about playlists. I have playlists but a great tip I picked up today and need to use more often is the creating of playlists to share with the students. I love using you tube links to support students with their learning and instead of having lots of links to videos I can put them into a playlist and have one link and embed it on my class site.

Also love the trick about adding ?rel=0 to the end of the HTML code when embedding a video to avoid random content recommendations coming up at the end of the video.

Media

Media is Multi-Sensory. It engages our learners. There are many tools available for students to create media. It is not about the cost, it is about what you do with it. What have you got that you can make use of. We have been really lucky to have had Harley Alexander share his knowledge with us and our students about creating film. This was very beneficial when we created our movies for the Film Festival.



Google Slides

The sharing of some good tips that we need to remember when creating presentations.

If you can't fit your key message/takeaway on to a post it note, you need to refine, refine, refine until you can. When you create the presentation each slide needs a key message. When presenting don't read the screen - the slide needs to be the supporting cast of your talk.

When starting out - start with a blank slide.  Remember pictures can tell 1000 words.

CREATE TIME

Today I chose to work with Makaore on creating a Digital Pepeha in Google Slides. It was great to see and hear different ways our pepeha can be presented. Here is what I have done so far. Still need to add some more photos. We have a big focus on Pepeha at the beginning of the year. I would like to teach the children to make their pepeha with photos.

2 comments:

  1. Tēnā koe Alicia, thank you for taking the time to post your reflection for Wednesday's mahi. You've picked up some great tips over the course of the day which I'm sure will be helpful to you once you're back in the class! Adding the code on to the end of YouTube html is a great tip! Nothing worse than kids being directed to other videos that may not be relevant or appropriate. Thank you also for sharing your Digital Pepeha - it is always special seeing people's tupuna and learning a bit more about the people and influences who make us who we are. Ngā mihi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeremy. Yea I get so annoyed at the recommendations at the end of you tube videos so am glad I picked up that little trick.

      Delete